Helicopter shot down near Blackhawk firebase on April 27, 1970

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

From the guestbook at fredlohr.com

Anyone know anything about this?

243)   Duane Brudvig 

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 22:54 Host: cache-mtc-ad07.proxy.aol.com   
Hey, I was with the 281st AHC. On April 27th, 1970 one of our ships was shot down near Blackhawk. The 4th Infantry had three of their people on the aircraft and three of our guys were killed. One guy jumped before it crashed and lived. He was a friend of mine. Gary Fields. I was there after they were shot down. We fired up the area with our gun-ships. I sure would appreciate any infor-mation you would have on the locate and anything you would know about that day. Thanks.
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

1/2dollar bill

Hey Fred,Halfdollar here. I was the RTO of the landing strip at that time and I remember the Squadron Ambulance taking the crew to the Squadron Aid station.  Halfdollar Bill 
William C Reynolds  (Bill)

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

Quote from: 1/2dollar bill on March 01, 2012, 11:10:14 AM
Hey Fred,Halfdollar here. I was the RTO of the landing strip at that time and I remember the Squadron Ambulance taking the crew to the Squadron Aid station.  Halfdollar Bill

Three of the four crew were killed, so if you saw a bunch of crew members it may have been a different incident.  Are you sure of the date?

Fred
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

1/2dollar bill

Hey Fred ; Halfdollar here. It may have been a different incident but one of the crew was shot in the ass or lower back and the bullet came out the top of his flight helmet and you could not see his face,it made me quite sick at the time .That is one of the things I brought back with that I will never forget . The Medics asked if I could help them unload the chopper but all I could do is throw-up. I did go back to the compound and bring the crew enough water to wash out the chopper. 1/2 Dollar HHT 
William C Reynolds  (Bill)

Dai Uy

As I recall, the huey went down in the brush south-east of the psp runway.  Henry Ichio was doing his work in the body bag.  I remember 1Lt bar on his right shoulder.