Gordon Houck A troop

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

A Trooper Gordon Houck passed away in England on 8 May 2013.  His wife, Karen sent this to us.

Gordon Douglas Houck

28 November 1945 – 8 May 2013

I don't know if any of the readers remember my wonderful husband Gordon Houck.  Perhaps you remember him with less of the wonderful?   :). Sadly at only 67, Gordon passed away on 8 May 2013.  He had hoped to hook up with some of his old buddies but it didn't work out for him, so I asked the team on the Blackhawk bulletin if I could just say hi to you all and tell you a little about him
Gordon was born and lived in Norwich, NY, he also lived for a time in Sanford and Debary, FL.  He moved to Riseley, England where we married and enjoyed a peaceful and happy life.

Gordon served in the US Army from 1966 to 1968.  He was kitted out at Fort Dix, NJ then shipped out to Fort Hood, TX for his basic training with A troop 2/1st Cav, 2nd Armored Division.  He did a good share of KP at Fort Hood, including on his first day and enjoyed a party or two. One story he retold often was of an (unauthorized) A Troop party that ended up with B Troop taking the wrap from the MPs for all the trash (his version was much longer than mine).

He shipped out to Vietnam in August 1967 as a member of A troop 2/1st Cav, 4th Infantry Division where he served as a gunner on a track.

Gordon was always ready to tell his many funny stories such as rifle and bayonet training, where he "just followed orders" and his "favourite" sergeant falling in a hole and breaking his leg but he didn't talk much to family and friends about his actual service in Vietnam as like many others, it was a painful time for him.  He did share with me so I can understand why it left a lasting effect on him which was with him to the end.

We visited DC only last year for his first visit to The Wall – it had taken him a long time to go there, but was pleased that he finally had chance to salute his friends.

He received the Army Commendation Medal and the Purple Heart for the wounds he received when his track was hit by rockets, just north of Kontum during the Tet Offensive in 1968.  He recovered physically and served the rest of his time in Vietnam, shipping back in August 1968 via Fort Lewis, WA.

He was very proud to have served his country and honoured that he was eligible for burial in Arlington National Cemetery and I will be taking Gordon's ashes from England to Arlington, VA once the scheduled date has been agreed.

He loved life and celebrated the beauty of the world around him every day, bringing laughter and love into the lives of his family and friends.  I will miss him every day and I am and always will be so very proud of him.

If anyone remembers Gordon and would like to get in touch I would love to hear from you at kehouck@sky.com and if you find yourself in sunny England drop me a line and perhaps we can meet up to share pictures and stories.

Thank you all for your service.
Karen Houck (June 2013)
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

jmm48a3

Rich, The Valorous Unit award, Gen Ord 43, have a copy of that.
John Moorhouse (House), Loader/Driver, A-25, 67-68