Strafing of HHQ on April 1,1970

Previous topic - Next topic

liver

Does anyone know how Colonel Myers' book is coming along?  It may include some details of the red flares and jets etc.  I found the aad.gov site listing air sorties between 1970 and 75....but no luck on the strafing mission, which I happened to get caught in the middle of, hiking to the perimeter from the ammo dump.  If anyone knows about the book or how to get a hold of Colonel Myers, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you....thanks, Dennis

I must thank Col. Myers for some insight on the "strafing" of HHQ on 4/1/70...He suggested, that since the towers also had .50 cal, I could very well have been taking fire from there! I thought it was the jets, since they flew at and over me at that moment. Who knows? Maybe one of you guys in HHQ was in a tower facing the village that day?! What a wonderful laugh we could have now if your out there...you or the pilots!
                                                           Dennis....www.lastexitonkearney.com  ;D

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

I am thinking that if you are sure it was .50 cals, it could only be one airplane.  The AE1 Sky Raider had .50 cals and 20mm cannon..  Any memories of the airplane type?  If it was a jet they would have 20MM.  If it was Spooky (C-47) it would have been a .30 cal minigun.  Maybe an AC-119 would have .50 cal., dunno.  Could be the towers also.  Who did you piss off in the towers?   ???
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

liver

That's hilarious Fred! "who did I piss off in the towers."..., really though, untill Sam e-mailed me, I never thought of the towers.  I just thought, since it was fighter jets (two small silver ones, maybe Air Force from Phan Rang or Cam Rahn...they were coming from my right, which if I have the directions right in my head the village and ocean behind me, then those birds were coming from the North.  The bullets were hitting all around me and the adrenalin had my speed up real quick...who knows, never been on the receiving end of that much direct machine gun fire, maybe it was .30 cal...I did have another thought, crazy as it might seem, did the red flares go up cause someone saw me walking out of the village straight at the perimeter?  It was a real quick spray of bullets,and they quit real quick when the jets passed, so that's why I thought it was them. But who knows maybe someone was spotting from the tower for the machine gunner and yelled "cease fire!  That'sa cavalryman without his horse!"

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

Small Jets implies A-37 but as I recall, they were not silver but white and OD.  I thought they used bombs and rockets and not machine guns.  Small and silver might imply a bigger jet farther away.  In any event, glad you were able to "dance" around the bullets to safety.  Nothing like being shot at and missed!  :o
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

liver

Hmmm! Where those bullets were coming from, more of a mystery now than ever!   And that was the story of my 4 years in the Army....shot at and missed,  :)s**t at and hit!