173d rifle platooh attached to 2/1 Cav in August 1969

Previous topic - Next topic

John Chapla

In late August 1969, my platoon from A/3/503, 173d Abn Brigade, was attached to one of the ground troops of 2/1 Cav. My memory and notes on what troop and where it was stationed now fail me.  What I do recall is that it might have been near Phan Rang, but on that I could be mistaken. We had been operating north of Phan Thiet for over a month just before being attached to the cav troop.  What I do recall is that the troop base camp was near Hwy 1 and South China Sea.  In the base camp center were some wonderful open air showers that I was told were fed by an underground hot springs, and the base camp was on the grounds of an old Vietnamese soda pop factory.  The GP medium tent that my platoon occupied abutted the wall of a wrecked Vietnamese one-story masonry building.  Can anyone help me identify what troop, where the base camp was, and who commanded the troop at the time?

skinnydipper2002

I was with C troop Back Then. If my memory serves me correctly it would have to be A troop & it would be around Song Mao. Sgt MAC [William Mcclish]........ hope this helps ya a little