April fools day 1970 (the battle for Song Mao)

Previous topic - Next topic

1/2dollar bill

If you have ever talked to Col (MAJ) Myers Past XO of 2/1 cav. You will not belive how much you start rembering about your time in country.He is a walking history book about the early morning of April 1,1970.(the battle of Song Mao) when a large unit of North VietNames Army hit three of our troops at the same time and blew-up our main ammo dump . Col myers is writing a book about that pre-dawn attack.don't know  if it's finished yet or not?  Can't wait to read it!  If anyone has talked to him please e-mail with results of this book.  Thankx 1/2dollarbill
William C Reynolds  (Bill)

Blackhawk 69

Thanks. Will you let us know when it comes out?
I worked harder on April 1, 1970 than any other day. We humped rockets and ammo all day, besides our work on the choppers. You were our brothers being attacked. Our choppers flew in to reload, the pilots only had time for a hot coffee or chicken broth, they pissed in pots brought out for them. Then back to the action as fast as possible.
I would really like to read that when it comes out. Some of my photos are from that day at D troop and the scrambling choppers.
If you blow this one up you can see all the ships in the air at sunrise.
( EDIT: called sunrise)

This one is a return trip and/or the infantry flying out to you.
( EDIT: it's called infantry to a hot LZ)
Sorry I seem unable to post pics now.
Mike Cron '69 - 70

1/2dollar bill

On that April morning I was awaken at 1am to our ammo dump going up like  the grand finale at a fireworks display. I was the R.T.O. at Song Mao air strip and had to find a way out there from base camp,Maj Meyers was the only one moving around in a vehicle so I bummed a ride with him. I remember taking sections of rockets out of crates and cardboard tubes and screwing them together to reload the gunships so they could keep fighting . Strange,you & I were working side by side and find out 40 yrs later ! I hope to get in touch with COL Myers soon and will post any news .   1/2dollarbill                                                       call sign ONE-ONE MIKE      

1/2dollar bill

I have been busy surfing the net for anything connected to the 2/1 cav,I finally found a report about 1 April 1970 on the 1/50 mech Inf web site ichiban1@org.com  Just click on Assoc of the 1st Bn 50Th  Inf. on the link section on our home page, click on VietNam war stories ,go down to 1 April 1970  click read draft.  halfdollar  William Reynolds HHT 2/1 cav Song Mao 1970

Blackhawk 69

Quote from: 1/2dollar bill on January 23, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
If you have ever talked to Col (MAJ) Myers Past XO of 2/1 cav. You will not belive how much you start rembering about your time in country.He is a walking history book about the early morning of April 1,1970.(the battle of Song Mao) when a large unit of North VietNames Army hit three of our troops at the same time and blew-up our main ammo dump . Col myers is writing a book about that pre-dawn attack.don't know  if it's finished yet or not?  Can't wait to read it!  If anyone has talked to him please e-mail with results of this book.  Thankx 1/2dollarbill
Any update on the book? Anyone?
Mike Cron '69 - 70

1/2dollar bill

Hey Mike ; I talked to Maj Myers a short time ago and he informed me that his church was having financial problems , the church elders did not understand that they had to report to the I.R.S. every 1/4 and their books were in very bad shape . He said he was elected to streighten the records and find a lot of missing money,He said he would have to put his book on hold until He has the church back in order.  1/2 dollar bill HHT 1970 Song Mao

Blackhawk 69

Thanks for the quick reply 1/2 dollar. My offer of any of my pictures still goes if he needs any of them.
Mike Cron '69 - 70

skinnydipper2002

Well guys I was there too but across the field in C troop & can say it was a wild night. just got on this site looking to see if any of my old buddys were still around. If ya need any thing to know about what went at C troop I have plenty of memorys......God to here from any body served with the cav.