from the CavTrooper List Server

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Lohr (D Troop 68-69)

GENTLEMEN....This is vince bovino.  I was the platoon leader of 3rd platoon Charlie Troop   69-70.  Tom Prince,  from Ann Arbor, MI , a great trooper, was on my mortar track.

As some of you know Tom lost both his legs during a nite operation to insert some infantry into the bush.  His track hit a huge mine. Tom and a number of other guys were medi vaced in the middle of the night.    As the platoon leader I felt a huge sense of responsibility, some may call it guilt, for Tom's loss.  When I returned from Vietnam my wife and I visited Tom and I kept in phone and email contact.  Attached is a pic of Tom in Vietnam.

Today (2/28/13) I was planning a business trip to Detroit and decided to stay an extra day and invite Tom and his wife Helen to join me for breakfast or dinner.  I sent an email to Tom and here was the reply from Helen:

Hi Vince,

I am sorry to tell you that Tom passed away in September. He was diagnosed with 4th stage non-Hodgkins lymphoma at the end of April and went through extensive chemotherapy. This seemed to be successful against the cancer cells, but compromised his immune system and caused a lung infection which he couldn't fight off.

From what I have since learned, it is likely that the cancer may have been a result of his time in Vietnam Nam. The VA has identified this cancer as one that can result from exposure to Agent Orange, and they provide compensation for it.

Hope you and your family are well.
Warm regards,
Helena

Vince Bovino
Principal Consultant
RVN 68-69  72-73

Fred Lohr

http://www.fredlohr.com

rockykontum

Today is the day after the 40th anniversary of the end of the war.  Lt Bovino was my platoon leader and Tom was a good friend.  Everyone was badly shaken by the mortar track hitting the mine and the crew being injured.  If I remember right, the picture of Tom was taken by me atop a observation post not too far from Firebase Blackhawk.  Lt. Bovino was a fine leader and always put the troopers first.  I drove for him and I think I was that fateful night.  I am truely saddend to hear of Toms death.  I had been in contact with him in August and he did not let on how serious things were...Trooper Roger Johnson

thom cap

Sorry to hear about the passing away of Tom Prince.  I remember that early morning with the explosion of the mine that 9er hit.  There was nothing but dirt flying in the air and then everybody  started firing their guns because nobody knew that the 9er track was hit.  Was in the tank behind them that fateful day.  Also remember that the TC's 50 cal. was blown off the track.  The only other guy on 9er that I recall was a guy they called Scotty, shot a peacock and used its legs to make various gestures.  Who were the other two fellas?

Mac Daddy

I was there also that night on APC-32. There were infantry riding atop the vehicles that we were carrying for a early mission. I also remember someone who had a igloo cooler blown up on their leg, and they were dusted off with it still on his leg. I remember seeing Tom being patched up by our medic. The other crew member was Rick Scotty, I don't recall the other names. I wonder if Lt. Bovino still has a roster of 3rd platoon names from 69? Tom Prince was a super friendly person who everyone liked.  Rest in peace Tom..............