quiet at HHT

Previous topic - Next topic

hourglass hht

Happy 2010 All

Sp4 Hirsch [hourglass] here assigned to HHT 2nd Sq 1st Cav June '69 with 4th ID at Camp Anari in Pleiku because i could use a typewriter and someone at Anari switched my MOS from 11C to 71B (?). They then sent me down to join the rest of the unit in the tick-infested sands of Phan Rang Airbase in late July. Had to rip off my new 4th patch and put on a 1st Field Force sword and shield ... At Phan Rang they put me in charge of medical records for all Troops because we got 'special order' authority since we were so far afield from 1st FF HQ ...  My failing memory recalls some nasty events over my short stay in country ... i gathered or generated and sent necessary medical records on to Japan with MedEvac'd troopers.

I've lived in Japan for some decades now. A friend and I visited Vietnam 2 years ago ... So much energy there as elsewhere in Asia. We started in the belly of the beast in Hanoi and made our way south to Saigon Ho Chi Min City over 17 days ... No reservations and zero 1st Class travel or accommodations ... ate noodles on the road at truckstops or bus stations ... great time - lousy beer ... countryside is green (still) but the lushness more sharply contrasts the smokey brown sky ... abundant veggies and fruit everywhere ... not much refrigeration so open air meat and fish and flies put me off ... everybody with a motorcycle (98% of the pop) claimed to be a tourguide, otherwise most folks were amazingly sweet and open ... oh, the north was palpably 'bossy' ... at times ordering me to "wait here" when it was their boat or bus or person that was late ... occasionally got stink-eye from old coots like myself, but the younger generation has long-since moved on ...

Pleiku was way out of our way - with limited end-of-school-year-season transportation and only one train line running north to south - so we didn't make it over that way, but did spend a night in Phan Rang eating and drinking well, but the air base, like all bases and nearby roadways, are off limits property of the Vietnam People's Air Force (VPAF) ...

If I can save a few yen, i'll try and catch y'all in DC ... unless we have to fly naked thanks to fear and a false flag panty bomber and a fat thank you contract for Chertoff ... i couldn't do that to an unsuspecting public ...

Cheers,
Hourglass
"It's hard to lead a cavalry charge if you think you look funny on a horse." - Adlai E. Stevenson