Help with patches on Uniform

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen Houck

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there can tell me where I can find out what patches would have been on the right and left shoulder of my late husbands uniform when he left Vietnam.  Gordon/Gordie (Houck) was in Vietnam in 67/68 and on his DD214 his Last Duty Assignment and Major Command is A Trp 2 Sqd 1 Cav Regt 4th Inf Div.  Been trying to find out but not having much luck.  We live, sorry I live in England so not easy to just drop by a store or office.  He passed away in early May this year from Lung cancer.  He always said he was given the wrong ones because they had run out - so I would love to know the right ones.  I may have other information here which would help, just not sure where to look.  Hoping someone out there is an expert or knows one.  Thanks hopefully.
Karen Houck, wife of Gordon Houck, A Troop Vietnam Aug 67/Aug 68

jmm48a3

If his last command was in the 4th Division, the 4th Division patch would be worn on his upper left shoulder. Below the 4th Div patch would then be his rank. Hope this helps you.
Do you have any idea what track (vehicle) he was on.
John Moorhouse (House), Loader/Driver, A-25, 67-68

Karen Houck

Hi John, Rich and I have been in touch by email.  Was definitely A-71 to start with not sure how long for.  I am working through his pics there are a few of different tracks but they may not have been his.  One of the guys on A-71 has been in touch and has sent another picture so I know that was the one he was on first.

I am posting three pictures - one shoulder has the patch with the blue background and white stars - this he said was wrong and I think should be replaced with the 4th Infantry patch - have I got the right one?  The other shoulder he wasn't sure if it was right or not.  Any help appreciated would like to get it right for him even though he's not here.

Thanks
Karen Houck, wife of Gordon Houck, A Troop Vietnam Aug 67/Aug 68

fingerprints

Hi, Rich here, did some more research on the above patch's and the Blue patch with the four stars is the patch that the American Army had for WWII. They defended in the south pacific ergo the 4 stars indicated the Southern Cross that is visible in the southern hemisphere. The unit was renamed the 1/22 Infantry when it was restarted and sent to Vietnam in Sept 1967. They were under the command of the 4th I.D. ergo the 4 clover leaf patch. The I Field Patch, that is on the opening of this web site, is the patch for the MACV trng brgd, while in Fort Hood Texas. The Americal Div patch is the correct one for the Blackhawks serving in VN. Anyone interested in doing their own research should "goggle" US ARMY and look under their cavalry listing they will find the 1st Cav- Blackhawks. Scouts Out
Rich Hansell, A troop, 2nd Plt. Sept. 67 to March 68. Driver of A-28. Infantry track member.