Battle of Song Mao & Vietnam stories

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerprints

I was reading some posts in the Guest Book & I noticed many references to the above. Danny Cisco, Don Hall, Mike C. Flores and Willis Townsend all are connected to Song Mao. Some at diff-erent times, but maybe one of you know what went down. I am suprised at the number of people in our guest book. Any way to ask them to join our group? eh Fred? On 3-14-10 Dave Stendman requested any stories we may have for a book he is compiling. Does anyone have his e-mail address? TX Scouts Out!
Rich Hansell, A troop, 2nd Plt. Sept. 67 to March 68. Driver of A-28. Infantry track member.

mcflores

Our platoon (2nd) was in the mountains outside of Song Mao when the battle took place. I was able to hear some of the battle over the squad radio.  We looked at each other and were not surprise; the locals did no show up for work that day.  The next day we were taken out and sent back.  I saw a piece of human skull on the west side perimeter barb wire, and a very small mortal hole right outside the door of my own hooch. You could still smell the gun powder and see the mortal impacts all around. A Mexican Texan came up to me and said "You can't believe what happen!".  I saw a guy name "Pollack" walking around with a white bandage wrapped around his right forearm, looking for something. The thing was; every one looked "Stoned". You looked into their eyes and they looked like glass. That was the first time I realized that the villagers would determine the outcome of the war. It was 1970, and the mentally of the brave soldiers was changing from the brave mentally of soldiers of the 60s. I hope this makes sense to some of you.
Mike C. Flores; Vietnam 2 Feb-20 Dec 1970
C Troop, 2nd Platoon

Alex Matau

During the battle of Song Mao I was a scout pilot with D troop (BlackHawk 14). While flying that morning I spotted 2 troopers that got separated from their unit. They were sitting under a tree with a orange panel no weapons and waving at me. I landed and picked them up before the NVA got to them. I dropped them both off at the LZ where D troop was staging from during the battle. Anyone know who they were? Are they still with us? Like to say hi and buy them a beer.
Alex Matau
BlackHawk 14

Blackhawk 69

Quote from: Alex Matau on January 10, 2012, 12:05:53 AM
During the battle of Song Mao I was a scout pilot with D troop (BlackHawk 14). While flying that morning I spotted 2 troopers that got separated from their unit. They were sitting under a tree with a orange panel no weapons and waving at me. I landed and picked them up before the NVA got to them. I dropped them both off at the LZ where D troop was staging from during the battle. Anyone know who they were? Are they still with us? Like to say hi and buy them a beer.
Alex Matau
BlackHawk 14
Holy shit!
Mike Cron '69 - 70

michael doggett

I was on guard duty changing shifts when the first mortar landed in hht compound.I was caught in no mans land.Barely made it to my hooch before the next round landed.
MYDOGGIE hht 2/1 cav. 02 1970-10 1970

Bullet

Hello, my name is Steve.  Top, Tom Casciaro, called me Bullet.  I was the armorer in 1970, C troop.  I have some recollections on or about page 100 of the old guestbook, if anyone is interested.  Thanks