173d rifle platoon attached to 2/1 Cav in August 1969

Previous topic - Next topic

John Chapla

In late August 1969, my platoon from A/3/503, 173d Abn Brigade, was attached to one of the ground troops of 2/1 Cav. My memory and notes on what troop and where it was stationed now fail me.  What I do recall is that it might have been near Phan Rang, but on that I could be mistaken. We had been operating north of Phan Thiet for over a month just before being attached to the cav troop.  What I do recall is that the troop base camp was near Hwy 1 and South China Sea.  In the base camp center were some wonderful open air showers that I was told were fed by an underground hot springs, and the base camp was on the grounds of an old Vietnamese soda pop factory.  The GP medium tent that my platoon occupied abutted the wall of a wrecked Vietnamese one-story masonry building.  Can anyone help me identify what troop, where the base camp was, and who commanded the troop at the time?

liver

You were with A troop...but it seems later than August, because, if you were there on New Years Eve, I am sure would remember the fragging incident (unsuccessful) on your CO.  Try posting on 2/1 Cav "Guestbook" as well...I am sure you will be getting good info from the boys at both sites..Dodson may have some info!

John Chapla

Liver
I am sure of the dates, late August 1969.  While we were at the base camp, there was an attempted fragging on a tent, not mine, housing NCOs.   I will post to the guest book, but do you have any information as to where the A Troop base camp was in August?

liver

Sure you re right on...you were at the old French Mineral Water Bottleing plant just off Hwy one, South of Phan Rang and another village and North of Song Mao.  I remember you being there, however the 1st platoon was mostly on the road and did'nt get to base camp much...so you were probably there longer than I would know...but I clearly remember New Year's night, as I was on patrol outside the wire and saw the explosion in the perimeter at about quarter to twelve.  I remember, there were three of us chuckling there on the hillside above the perimeter, that someone had jumped the gun on midnight...Then all hell broke loose at 12 and we dug in tighter!  The whole world lit up!  We came off the hill at dawn and heard someone fragged the CO...but what did we know, we did'nt hang with you guys so we went on rumor...thanks for letting me know the rumor was innaccurate..I woulda never had a clue. Nice to hear from you after so many years....Dennis

liver

Here ya go John, if this works...the pictures are small, but there you are!

John Chapla

Holy Mackeral, Liver.  That sure is the tent I recall, but the building seems in far better shape and the camp itself far less torn up than my memory serves.  When were these pictures taken?  Here are the two pictures I have from that time in August 1969

John Chapla

I guess the pictures I had were too big to attach.  Have you got an email I can get them to you directly?

liver

Sure John...nelliejuan@yahoo.com...Maybe the camera was far enough away and the film is not great quality...I look forward to seeing your photo's!

liver

whoops...I forgot to tell you I believe it was the last part of '69...I was there June '69 to April '70.

KAATUN

Quote from: liver on January 18, 2012, 05:37:21 PM
YIIIIKESSSSSSS!!!!!! IS THAT THE OLD BOTTLE FACTORY?????? I SPENT MY FIRST NIGHT WITH THE BLACKHAWKS IN THAT BUILDING......GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!! FOR SOME REASON WE USE TO CALL THAT BASE "FIREBASE ALPHA". I THINK IT HAD ANOTHER DESIGNATION.."FB PANZER/BETTY????? MAX WOULD KNOW...... NONETHELESS...GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE...HOW OFTEN I DREAMED OF THAT PLACE....SLEEPING ON THAT COT...GAWKING AT THE SKY THROUGH THE MORTAR BLASTED ROOF....WAITING TO BE ASSIGNED TO A PLATOON.... IS THAT THE PLACE???....I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE, THERE WAS STILL A LOT OF 3rd HERD GUYS AROUND...THIS WAS AROUND THE BEGINING OF THE YEAR (1970)......GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!! LIVER YOU ARE TRUELY A PIECE OF WORK.... THANK GOD FOR YOU MAN....

KAATUN

Quote from: liver on January 18, 2012, 05:37:21 PM
LIVER AND GUYS, LET ME TRY THIS......HERE IS A PIX OF THE FIREBASE IN SONG MAO AFTER THE HIT ON 1 APRIL, 1970. SGT MAX TORNO SENT ME THIS ONE A WHILE AGO....YOU CAN STILL SEE THE EFFECTS OF THE APRIL FOOLS' DAY SHOOTOUT.... LIVER, THAT BUNKER  WE WERE IN THAT NIGHT IS ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUPPLY ROOM, AND THAT OTHER BUNKER TO IT'S LEFT IS THE CP....I'M SURE THAT'S WHAT CHARLEY WAS AIMING FOR....THAT'S SGT BRIAN KOSTECK WALKING BY HIS JACKED UP SUPPLY ROOM.....

liver

Cool shot!  Was that the next day? Or did you guys return to the Ammo Dump after the fight...was it still cooking off?  It had slowed up when we pulled out, it seems about noon or so it slowed up and we came out of the bunker...but I could be way wrong...and it seems we all left at once...but that is all vary vague....We had to have been somewhat rummy after that pounding...and it was our own stuff!......rough night huh?  I was probably out of the Army (Apr 4) and wandering around as a civilian by the time you got back!

KAATUN

Quote from: liver on January 22, 2012, 01:03:49 PM
Cool shot!  Was that the next day? Or did you guys return to the Ammo Dump after the fight...was it still cooking off?  It had slowed up when we pulled out, it seems about noon or so it slowed up and we came out of the bunker...but I could be way wrong...and it seems we all left at once...but that is all vary vague....We had to have been somewhat rummy after that pounding...and it was our own stuff!......rough night huh?  I was probably out of the Army (Apr 4) and wandering around as a civilian by the time you got back!
Can't say for sure when that pix was taken. For sure it wasn't the next day.....MAX LOOKS A LITTLE TO RELAXED. Hahahaha!!!!